Effective writing is clear, concise, and compelling - for the reader. This one-day course is designed to teach the essential skills and strategies needed to write in this manner in commercial, public, and non-profit work environments.
Who should attend:
Anyone who lacks confidence about their writing skills, or who wishes to write more efficiently and effectively. This course is relevant for anyone who writes as part of their job - from trainee to chief executive.
To gain a clear and confident understanding of:
- the overall purpose of communication
- the principles of successful communication
- the impact of style in general, and verbosity in particular
- the impact of the words and punctuation you choose
- How to produce robust briefs and outlines
- Effective document structure for any document
- Why we overwrite and how to avoid doing it
- The purpose and effective usage of all punctuation marks
- How to critique and edit any document
- The system (why we communicate, the principles of successful communication)
- Optimal process
- optimal briefs
- optimal outlines
- writing-up a robust outline
- The tools of written communication
- document structure, headings, paragraphs, sentences
- word choice, grammar, punctuation
This course employs a seminar and workshop format. There will be opportunities to practice the skills learnt and receive feedback. All attendees receive a copy of Clear, Concise, Compelling: How to write less and achieve more, an 80-page, full-colour, spiral-bound guidebook written by course presenter, Simon Hertnon. The guidebook provides a useful resource for maintaining and expanding on knowledge gained on the day.
If you would like more information about this programme, please contact us on:
Ph: 64 4 463 6556 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Victoria Professional and Executive Development are able to customise many of our workshops to meet specific individual or organisational requirements. Please contact us for further information.