Strategic negotiation is an approach to negotiation that focuses on the key drivers of negotiation to help ensure that:
- A mutually beneficial agreement is reached,
- It is the best possible agreement for you, your team or organisation, and that
- The negotiation process strengthens the ability to work well together in any future negotiations.
By attending this course you will increase your ability to:
- Deliver the best possible negotiation outcome for your team or organisation
- Lead an effective negotiation process
- Negotiate with confidence
- Prepare for the negotiation in a manner that gives you the best chance of success
- Creatively identify solutions that could work for both sides
- Build a strong working relationship with your negotiating counterpart
- Be able to respond well to any surprises that might occur along the way.
Who should attend:
Strategic Negotiation is for people who have responsibility for negotiating good agreements and want to give themselves the best chance of being successful. The course will be relevant to you if you are a procurement or contract professional, a leader or manager, an employment or recruitment specialist, a project or change manager, or a business development specialist.
Learn how to:
- Develop a strategic perspective on the requirements for a successful negotiation
- Apply the mindset and attitude most likely to support a successful negotiation
- Understand the significance of your organisation context for the negotiation and incorporate this into your approach
- Clearly identify interests, options and possible commitments that could work for both parties
- Build a strong working relationship with your negotiation counterpart
- Work effectively with the emotional responses of others
- Apply the skills for effective communication and persuasion
- Recognise, while negotiating, potential negotiation derailers and manage them appropriately.
Part 1: Strategic Negotiation Overview
- Negotiation 101: An overview of the drivers of a successful negotiation
- The Negotiating For Success Model: A strategic perspective on the key steps for a successful negotiation
- Negotiating style: Understanding your own negotiation style, how it might be different from others and how you can work effectively with those differences
Part 2: The Negotiation Mindset
- Mindset foundations: The beliefs and attitudes of successful negotiators
- Mindset principles: The principles of positive intention, mutuality and curiosity and how they influence the negotiation process
- The mindset pivot: The power of psychological and behaviourial flexibility and how to cultivate this quality in yourself
Part 3: Preparing For Negotiation
- The negotiation context: Understanding the ways in which context influences negotiation and how to work with that
- Mapping interests: Identifying the needs and concerns of both parties
- Generating possible solutions: Thinking creatively to generate a set of options that could meet the interests of both parties
- Identifying your ‘walk away’ alternative: Creating a strong alternative that can meet your interests, away from the negotiation, should the negotiation fail
- Post-negotiation activity: Considering the implications of a possible agreement, and how this will be managed, to ensure the integrity of the agreement is preserved
- Fast preparation: How to be as ready as you can be, for a coming negotiation, when you have very little time to prepare
Part 4: The Negotiation Process
- The negotiation environment: How to create the right environment for starting a negotiation successfully
- Relationships and communication: How to build and maintain relationships during the negotiation process and communicate in a manner that keeps the negotiation on track
- Powerful questions: How to use artful questions to understand more clearly your negotiation counterpart’s underlying interests, needs and concerns
- Working with emotion: How to work with tricky emotions, such as anxiety and anger, in a manner that ensures that they don’t derail the negotiation process
- Getting a good outcome: How to make sure you get the best possible outcome for your organisation without undermining the working relationship
Part 5: Next Steps
- Taking the strategic negotiation approach back into your world in a way that works for you.
This course includes a mix of stories, mini-lectures, self-reflection, small group exercises and group discussion. You will increase your skills through applying simple tools and templates that help you to understand your leadership and how to add value to your team, organisation or community.
If you would like more information about this programme, please contact us on:
Ph: 64 4 463 6556 Email: email@example.com
Victoria Professional and Executive Development are able to customise many of our workshops to meet specific individual or organisational requirements. Please contact us for further information.