A practical introduction to Maori culture and language, this course gives an insight into what it means to be Maori.
You will learn basic Maori language skills for communicating at work. Tikanga will be woven through the course to help you gain an understanding of cultural concepts and protocols as they relate to the workplace.
Who should attend:
Suitable for all, but particularly designed for professionals with little or no experience of te reo Maori.
- Correctly pronounce people and place names
- Greet, acknowledge and farewell people in both informal and formal settings
- Introduce yourself with a simple mihimihi
- Learn appropriate use of te reo in correspondence
- Begin to understand Maori cultural concepts as they influence your work
- Informal Greetings
- Introducing yourself
- Simple greetings, acknowledgements and farewells
- Formal Greetings
- Mihimihi: introducing yourself at a hui (meeting)
- Meeting and introducing other people
- Asking and saying where you live and work
- Using te reo in correspondence
- Greetings and meeting protocols – understanding the subtleties and dynamics of Maori meeting protocols
- Tikanga - understanding key concepts in Maori culture for example:
- whenua (the importance of land)
- tapu (restricted and sacred)
- whanau (importance of family and the community)
- whakapapa (geneology), whanau, hapu and iwi (traditional and contemporary social structures)
- mana (intrinsic value, prestige)
- tikanga (Maori resource management)
This course is taught over two half-day sessions.
These sessions will combine teaching by the tutor with practical exercises. A booklet of course materials will be provided to each participant.
In addition participants are given access to the following resource guide:
Department of Labour – Korero Maori: Maori Language Resource Book
If you would like more information about this programme, please contact us on:
Ph: +64 4 463 6556, Email: email@example.com
Victoria Professional and Executive Development are able to customise many of our workshops to meet specific individual or organisational requirements. Please contact us for further information.