Emotional intelligence is the ability to identify and manage your own emotions and the emotions of others. It is generally said to include three skills:
- Emotional awareness, including the ability to identify your own emotions and those of others;
- The ability to harness emotions and apply them to tasks like thinking and problem solving;
- The ability to manage emotions, including the ability to regulate your own emotions, and the ability to cheer up or calm down another person.
This workshop touches on the core factors of emotional intelligence to build knowledge and understanding and then looks at how this understanding and knowledge can be used practically back in the workplace.
Who should attend:
This course is for people, whatever their profession, who want to build or enhance their capabilities and behaviours related to emotional intelligence. This includes people who wish to more effectively manage their emotions, understand what makes others feel positive and negative emotions, and engage and collaborate with others.
By the end of the workshop participants will:
- Have increased their awareness of their own and other people's emotional impact on decisions, behaviour, and performance.
- Have learnt techniques to more consciously and effectively manage their own and others' emotions.
- Have improved their knowledge of how to build and maintain trust in the workplace.
- Have learnt practical strategies based on emotional intelligence to positively relate to and influence others.
- The science of emotions.
- What is emotional intelligence?
- The role of emotions in decision-making, behaviour, performance, trust and influencing.
- How can emotional intelligence be built and/or enhanced?
- Strategies and techniques to build and maintain trust, improve influencing and relating to others.
- Action planning to enhance your own emotional intelligence, influencing and relating to others.
To get the most value out of this workshop participants will be asked to complete a short reflection exercise prior to the workshop.
The group size will be keep small to ensure quality interaction with the facilitator and the workshop will be run to maximize participant interaction, sharing, and self-discovery. This will not be a lecture where participants will passively receive information!
Attendees will also “buddy up” with someone they will meet with to solidify learning through peer coaching subsequent to the workshop. This is based on the idea that the most important learning occurs outside of the workshop where participants apply their learning in their lives.
Dr. Paul Wood
"Dr Paul Wood has been working with our team at Sony NZ on building emotional intelligence. We initially focused on developing mental toughness and we are now expanding further on this. Our people have been very engaged throughout the programme as Paul’s style is very captivating and relevant, and his approach is warm and passionate. The feedback I have received from the team is that they have been able to apply much of what Paul has introduced both at work and in their personal lives and have experienced great outcomes because of it.
Since Paul has started working with us on this topic I have seen members of our team grow from being employees with a question mark beside their names to moving towards becoming star performers. I cannot recommend Paul enough, in fact I have introduce Paul to our Australian team who are very keen to start working with him too!"
Kirstie Gough, HR Manager, Sony NZ
"This course was delightful and amazing. Dr Paul Woods is brilliant. Funny, bright, methodical in his teaching practice and ready to respond to his students' queries and ideas. He is clearly so passionate about this work and committed to modelling it as well as teaching it. I have a PhD in Communications and facilitate and lecture regularly myself, so I'm pretty critical of workshops and how they're run. In this case, I loved this course so much. It actually is the best course I've ever been on."
If you would like more information about this programme, please contact us on:
Ph: 64 4 463 6556 Email: email@example.com
Victoria Professional and Executive Development are able to customise many of our workshops to meet specific individual or organisational requirements. Please contact us for further information.